View Single Post
Old December 22, 2007, 02:02 PM   #4
arcticap

Quote:
This TC Break-O-Way sabot and 240 grain lead HP shot very accurately out of a nickeled 1 in 48" twist Traditions Deerhunter using 85 grains of Pyrodex P. It shot to the same POI as a patched round ball so no resighting in was necesary.

Other similarly sized sabot/bullet combinations should provide decent accuracy in a 1 in 48" twist barrel if your state allows them for hunting. I'm thinking about the .45 caliber Maxi Hunters of a similar weight which I've also used before.
Being .45 caliber bullets, they are slightly longer and have a better sectional density which deliver more penetration than .50 caliber bullets of the same weight. I wouldn't want to use saboted .45 bullets that are much longer or heavier than these in a 1 in 48" twist, or it might be better to just stick with .50 caliber conicals.
But they do provide a very accurate and consistent 1st shot out of a cold, clean barrel. And one can always reload using an easier loading PRB or conical for a follow up shot in the field while hunting.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...66&postcount=3

Page generated in 0.03691 seconds with 8 queries