View Single Post
Old November 21, 1999, 07:39 PM   #2
Mikey

I would assume that you want this for IDPA competition or carry since you specified the "C" model. If your requirement is other than that my advice may not hold true.

I bought one for IDPA and had nothing but trouble with it. I finally sold it to a fellow who bought it after I told him why I didn't like it! The "C" backplate, in my opinion, pulls the upper (grip) portion of the gun too far in while allowing the lower (muzzle) portion to stick too far out. This makes drawing from the holster very difficult and, if your gun has forward cocking serrations, nearly impossible. The gun gets "jammed-up" requiring that the shooter lean left to gain enough body clearance to get the gun out. The only cure I found was to rotate the holster position for an extreme butt forward cant and position the holster almost directly over the right butt cheek. Neither was acceptable to me.

The holster would probably work fine with the standard tactical backplate (not IDPA legal) or a paddle backplate (promised by Hellweg but never delivered).

In the mean time, I'm using the best paddle holster I've ever found for the 1911 - the DeSantis Pro-Fed! I shoot IDPA every weekend and it took three years to begin showing wear on the first one. I just bought a second with the coupon I won at the Tennessee State Championships.

I have a friend that uses the Hellweg Covert Thun-Dur and loves it. He tried my Tactical-C and said it "sucks" (his word). I have also used and liked the Galco Firm Paddle holster.

Hope this helps...

Mikey

Page generated in 0.02472 seconds with 8 queries