View Single Post
Old February 16, 2020, 01:46 AM   #11
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
@TruthTellers
Yeah, I pretty much stick to XTP bullets for .380 ACP since it seems to be the only bullet design that will both reliably expand and penetrate 12" in Gel.

Supposedly .357 SIG is getting dropped because 124gr 9mm +P+ loads are capable of duplicating the performance of .357 SIG and most duty guns chambered in 9mm hold up well to +P+ anyway.
Personally, I'm not into overpressure ammo, ergo if I want better performance I opt for a more powerful cartridge rather than trying to turbocharge less powerful ammo, but that's just me. The last thing I want is a logistics nightmare in which I have overpressure loads which are only safe to fire from specific guns lying around and having to worry about keeping them sorted so that I don't accidentally load them into a gun that can't handle them.
It's more to do with ammo price and commonality between other LEO agencies in the event of a national emergency. Say we have a nuclear war with China or that coronovirus spreads to the US and it looks like World War Z outside, a department that runs low on .357 Sig is going to have a hard time getting more ammo vs departments that use 9 or .40 because that stuff is stocked very deep in warehouses.

As to the performance, .357 Sig is usually 1500 fps with a 125gr bullet while the +P+ 9mm stuff I see is rated for 1300 fps with a 124gr bullet. Needless to say, 200 fps faster with the same weight bullet is a lot faster.

Page generated in 0.03229 seconds with 8 queries