View Single Post
Old December 15, 2019, 07:16 PM   #34
FireForged

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY, and for good reason.

A firearm is not a doggone fashion statement!

I totally agree.

I simply cannot wrap my head around the idea of regularly carrying several different guns of varying style, type, size, caliber, weight and intrinsic operations. I cant imagine how that can bolster my fighting prowess. I can however imagine how it can hinder it. Especially when you include physiology and typical stress reaction. In my opinion, it may be a mess waiting to happen

I attended a carbine course a while back and my AR system rifle crapped out on me really bad ( I damaged the gas system) and I didn't have enough mags for my back up gun. A buddy gave me his back up and mags which was a AK variant. Even under superficial stress, I flubbed a couple of basic tasks and had to perform certain articulations (twice) because I naturally gave in to muscle memory and trained habit action. I did this probably 3 times during the same module. These errors could easily have been measurably problematic if it were a real fight.

I carry a larger all steel gun in the winter and a smaller polymer gun in the summer. They are of different systems but I don't switch back and forth regularly. I train with and carry the same gun for 6 or 7 months at a time. I do this out of practical necessity and not out of some sort of entertainment value.

I guess what this highlights is the stark difference between people to may be in the hobby of guns and those who simply carry a gun as a tool. I realize that I am probably in the minority with this opinion. I have carried and trained with guns for more than 30 years. I am nearly always armed with a handgun but to be quite honest, I have no affinity with guns and care nothing for them outside of it being a tool of specific purpose. I train regularly out of a sense of moral obligation and desire to maintain a reasonable proficiency. I have never considered shooting guns to be fun or entertaining... rather I consider the whole process to be burdensome and at times, punitive.

Someone might read that and ask.. why am I here. Well, its not because for some interest in guns. I am here to foster discussions on the concept of self defense, personal safety and all things which may help mitigate crime and violence. Those discussions will often include guns but it doesn't mean I am a gun-guy. I think most of you here already know that Im not.

Page generated in 0.03911 seconds with 8 queries