View Single Post
Old February 23, 2018, 10:28 PM   #4
TruthTellers

12. 12 gauge has a lot of low recoil ammo options out there, most are 2-3/4, some are 2-1/4 and add 1 more to the tube, and then the Minishells, which will require the adapter, but double the Shockwave's capacity.

To my knowledge, the 20 gauge doesn't have any defense ammunition that is widely available and is shorter than 2-3/4" and I also don't know of any 20 gauge shells that hold #1 or larger buckshot, which are the only buckshot that will penetrate the FBI minimum of 12 inches of ballistic gel.

Not saying #2, 3 or 4 Buck would be bad for home defense, but if you subscribe to the 00 is the holy grail school of thought, then 20 gauge is not for you.

IMO, 20 gauge will work, but I like the versatility of 12. If you want the power, 12 has it, if you want lower recoil, 12 has that too. Before the Opsol adapter existed, I would have said 20 gauge makes sense for home defense if you want a lighter gun with less recoil, but times have changed and I think if you're looking at choosing between the two, 12 is the best choice and 20 should be relegated to game bird hunting.

Page generated in 0.02408 seconds with 8 queries