View Single Post
Old December 17, 2011, 09:49 PM   #31
ClydeFrog

Knives & edged weapons...

A small knife or edged weapon would be a HUGE mistake for a entry level citizen who either; A) does not train or prepare correctly to deploy it in a defense related incident or B) is unaware of the use of force/concealed weapon laws of his/her area.
Now I am NOT saying combat type knives or folders can't protect you or that there are no good knives out there; CRKT, Benchmade, Blackhawk, Emerson, Gerber, etc but these work best in trained hands and are not the best idea for most use of force incidents.

That said, about 2 years ago a uniformed security officer(state licensed & trained) in my city had to resort to a small blade to kill a violent attacker who was caught breaking into a empty apartment. The security officer was cleared by law enforcement & the local state atty. His actions met the standards for self-defense but the attack was violent & stressful.
A young college student who is risk adverse or doesn't want to carry weapons may not be able to repel an attack like that incident.

In my US military service, our instructors & cadre kept saying one message to us; Stay alert & stay alive!
CF

Page generated in 0.04109 seconds with 8 queries