View Single Post
Old November 7, 2004, 09:57 PM   #1
AJ Peacock

Tried IDPA for the first time this weekend.

Howdy all,

A friend of mine (Cliff) invited me to join him at an IDPA match this weekend. I didn't have any of the appropriate equipment so I borrowed everything I needed. Cliff loaned me a Glock 19, holster and mag pouches. First of all, I've never been a Glock fan, I used to have a Sig P226 and looked down my nose at the 'plastic gun'. I never really gave them a chance.

I'm not a novice when it comes to shooting on the clock, as I am a pretty serious Cowboy Action Shooter, but shooting Ruger Vaqueros, Lever action rifles and pump shotguns are a LITTLE different than shooting a Glock.

Well the first 4 stages went great, I was concentrating on handling the pistol and not letting it amputate my left thumb (trying to cock it like I do my Vaquero single action revolvers). Each of the first 4 stages was a typical 18 round stage with a good amount of movement, cover and reloads. I ended up averaging around 26-33 seconds with 2-3 down on the IDPA targets. I did receive one procedural and shot one hostage ;-). I was having a ball and only had a small blood blister on my left thumb.

On the 5th stage, I decided not to concentrate on the pistol and I tried to shoot 'in the zone' and ignore the equipment. Well, it went great double tap 3 bad guys while sitting, move and open the door double tap 3 more bad guys(reloading as needed), move uprange and double tap 3 more bad guys through a hole in the wall. 25 seconds and only 1 down (only 1/2" out of the A).

Well, I had a great time and have new respect for Glocks. I am now thinking about getting a G23 instead of an HK and taking the extra $'s and getting a Barrel I can shoot lead with, holster, mag pouches and still have some $ left over :-)

Thats it, just wanted to share my experience.

BTW: I shot a Cowboy match today and never once tried to reach for a magazine (ha ha)

Later,
AJ

Page generated in 0.02107 seconds with 8 queries