View Single Post
Old September 17, 2018, 12:41 AM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
One way the gun community can do that is to avoid the rhetoric of the other 'conservative' social issues. Despite its appeal for fund raising, it is a long term bad idea.
A worthy goal, but perhaps practically impossible?

I see from both sides, although more strongly on the left I think, silence on an issue is no longer acceptable. I can't see an organization being "pure" gun rights without very quickly being asked about Hot Button Issue B and then being attacked for not supporting it. "No comment" or "We don't address that issue." would make them the enemy. It would be said that if you supported Issue B then you would say so, since you don't say so, you must not, so you are the enemy. I'm sure we can all think of current examples of just that, easily.

That, and any person involved with an organization who becomes known for having made a private comment unrelated to organizational activities will instantly become the "proof" that the organization supports (or doesn't, depending on who's throwing the tizzy) Issue B. See this with baseball and other sports players recently who have the nerve to innocently comment about an issue, personally and privately, and are then forced to issue a written public apology and make a donation to an organization supporting the issue which they had the nerve to disparage. Tolerance?

Page generated in 0.02545 seconds with 8 queries