View Single Post
Old October 10, 2012, 11:26 PM   #14
btmj

Mr Pond,

I have a perspective that is closer to yours than some of the very experienced shooters here in this thread. Although I have been shooting all my life, I am a noo-be at shooting in a disciplined way. I shoot the way I was taught as a boy, and I have never made any attempt (until now) to improve my technique.

About a year ago I upgraded to a nice Weatherby vangaurd in 243, and I found I could get 1 inch groups at 100 yards with almost any ammo I put through it. I found one brand of ammo that shoots a little tighter. I don't reload, don't have the time.

I have begun trying to improve my technique. I bought a few books, I am looking into ordering a DVD that KraigWy has recommended, and I am shooting more.

What I have found is that simply shooting well out to 200 yards is a great challenge for me, so much of a challenge that it may be some years before I feel the need to master longer distances. I am trying to consitantly hit bullseyes at 200 yards, and it is a real challenge. I might make 6 or 8 good hits in a row, but then I will shoot an out-lier. Sometimes I know as soon as I pull the trigger that the shot was off. But sometimes I don't realize it until I examine the target, and that bothers me. My goal is to shoot 20 rounds at 200 yards, and have all of them in a 2 inch circle. I'm not there yet, to put it mildly.

My point is that in Kraig's first post, he outlines a "shooting school syllabus" that would keep me busy for several years, shooting at 100 and 200 yards.

I would advise you to buy the weapon you want. Enthusiasm about your rifle is good for moral and keeps you interested. If you want to do some long range plinking, go for it. But don't attempt any serious long range target shooting until you have mastered the fundementals. I will go beyond 200 yards when I start hitting bullseyes with boring regularity.

Page generated in 0.02355 seconds with 8 queries