View Single Post
Old July 13, 2018, 07:06 AM   #20
agtman

Quote:
Does anyone know of a current or past production that fits what I am looking for?
Get an M1 Garand in .308/7.62, or find one in 30.06 that's got a shot-out or frosted barrel and have it re-barrel with a Criterion .308 barrel.

Over the winter I did just that with a Garand I 'rescued' from the oblivion of an apathetic owner.

It had the classic 'tomato-stake' barrel with internal pitting and frosting, along with a worn and dinged crown. Muzzle erosion gauged like 6+. Re-barreled it with a .308 Criterion tube ($200) and then replaced about 3 or 4 worn/out-of-spec parts with in-spec parts from CMP. The old beat-to-crap G.I. stock & handguards were removed, tossed into storage, and replaced with some new Minnelli M1 wood Brownells had on sale. BLO-ed those for a bit before putting everything together. Greased it up, attached a sling, and headed to the range.

It's digested about 400-rds now, and what a shooter this thing is too! It's almost too pretty to be a 'truck' (or 'trunk') gun, but I keep it in my ride anyway along with a couple of bandoliers of 8-rd clips loaded with 7.62 surplus ball.

The M1 is still legal even in the most Commie-fied jurisdictions, and when hunting (where autoloaders are allowed) you can use 5-rd clips.

Save the 8-rd clips for Match competitions, general range use, 'Get off my lawn!' situations (home or property defense), or whatever your favorite SHTF scenario happens to be currently.

Page generated in 0.04171 seconds with 8 queries