View Single Post
Old February 25, 2012, 10:01 AM   #28
Murdock

The Serpa is what it is; no tool works for every purpose, otherwise we could perform every job with a hammer.

My opinion is that the Serpa is at its best when security is more important than speed.

It is not a rig for Bozos. Consider that in in use, the brain sends a GO! Contract NOW! signal to the trigger finger when the decision to present the weapon is made,and the lock is hit. The brain must next send an inhibition signal to the trigger finger to relax and extend after the release lock is hit, so that it remains outside of the trigger guard. During a dynamic critical incident this is very hard to ensure.

So is "operator error" to blame for NDs with the Serpa? Sure. No question. But empirical evidence shows us that the design can invite error on the part of the stressed/less experienced operator. If I were running a shooting school I would have to think hard about allowing them in my classes.

My own Serpa is reserved for situations where the pistol is secondary to the carbine, and I don't want to lose the pistol from its holster when my attention is on other stuff.

Page generated in 0.04515 seconds with 8 queries