View Single Post
Old January 28, 2014, 08:32 AM   #17
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

No, I doubt its the firing pin. I threw that in as another cause if its not the hammer falling.

No, if the hammer is following the bolt forward, theres only a few things to cause this. Either the hammer is not being pushed back far enough to make it engage with the sear by the gas system (short-cycling), the sear notch on the hammer is starting to wear off, or the hammers camming surface against the bolt is worn away too much, but I would think you would have noticed it during takedown. If it seemed to work each time by hand, I doubt this being it.

If the gas port and the cylinder portion of the inside of the barrel ring are clean, suspect the seal ring on the piston. On Remington 1100's, the o-ring will look fine, but in reality, it is bad, and will short cycle. It's like this on the Mossberg 930 too, as it may look good, but it is possible it could be worn just enough to cause this since its intermittent. One last thing, make sure the two holes for the piston rods are not fouled up with dirt, as this might cause them to drag as they enter the receiver, and that the magazine tube, and inside of the piston are clean. Last, there is that forearm retainer that the rods pass through, make sure its not rubbing on the rods.

Page generated in 0.03522 seconds with 8 queries