View Single Post
Old February 3, 2021, 02:37 PM   #49
Sanch

Some years ago, I watched a military show, a segment of which was about the M-14 7.62. They were brought out of stockade for reliability in Iraq and Afghanistan dense sand conditions that were wreaking havoc on issued M4s. A soldier demonstrated operation of the M-14. It was extremely accurate for battlefield condition to 600 yards. I've watched Vietnam War documentaries of US soldiers killing enemy soldiers with M-14s at a thousand and more yards distant with open sights. That is one accurate rife.

The Vietnam fiasco began with soldiers using the M-14. It was reliable in the most harsh jungle conditions. And when NVA and Cong were hit with a 7.62 round, it was all over.

The M-14 was replaced with the initially not always reliable M-16. Many US soldiers wanted their M-14s back.

The M-14s only negatives were weight and number of ammo that could be carried.

A modified M-14 might make an excellent North American big game rifle. There's no question of what the .308 Win will do because it's done it all. Accuracy ain't an issue. The M-14 is probably more accurate than most bolts. The issue for me would be weight.

Wisdom acquired from harsh experience has taught me that a reliable and accurate big game rifle with a weight of no more than 7 pounds scope included would be ideal for Rocky Mountain big game hunting.

I would consider the M-14 as one of the best battle rifles ever designed, even better than the divine Garand which was one extremely accurate rifle. It's rub was it was clip fed.

Page generated in 0.02356 seconds with 8 queries