Thread: AR optics
View Single Post
Old September 20, 2012, 04:12 AM   #15
Justice06RR

Quote:
Having a BUIS does you no good if your scope is not in a quick detach mount. The 3-9x is an okay optic for a hunting AR, but not for a carbine length one that is meant for competition shooting or defense.

Unless you are hunting varmints or other small game, the effective range of a 5.56 NATO AR only needs a 4x scope to keep up. 9x is just more magnification than is needed and adds unnecessary weight.
No good? it takes about 5seconds to remove the scope.

This is not for a duty/HD setup; we're talking about hunting or plinking where you have time to switch optics and not in a time rush. a QD mount is nice, but not necessary. For duty use of course you need a better setup, but then we would already know that...

Also 9x is helpful depending on the shooters eyes. i.e. my eyes are not very good at long distances past 150yards (bad eyes and short sightedness doesn't help).

The effective range of an AR in 5.56 is 500meters. I can barely see 150 with iron sights. The 3-9x scope helps a lot if you intend to shoot within these distances, granted its probably better if you have a larger caliber AR (6.8, 6.5, 300, etc).

Page generated in 0.02494 seconds with 8 queries