View Single Post
Old July 17, 2012, 07:08 AM   #1
swampcrawler

caliber selection for a NULA

So I just discoverd Melvin's rifles. NULA, or New Ultralight Arms, makes some VERY cool light weight bolt actions. Look them up if you arnt familier with them. I recently developed a thing for light short rifles in light calibers. This is kind of funy being that I stand 6ft5 and weigh in at just under 340 pounds. Deffinitly no lightweight myself. Anyway I'm begining to squirrel away what I can toward eventually ordering one of these weapons. But with limited knowledge of how different cartriges work with different barrel lengths, and not wanting to waste the gentleman's time inquireing about a purchase so far in the future, I'm just going to ask you folks.

I live and hunt in south east louisiana. I hunt public land, and like to get as deep into the heart of it as possible to avoid contact with other hunters. Quite a bit of it is crawling on hands and knees thick, but I also hunt some pine savanah where a 2-300 yard shot is possible. I hunt whitetail (small ones down here) and hogs.

Due to the stuff I have to fight my way through, shorter is better. I'd like a 16-18 inch barrel. I do reload, but I also like sahooting my rifles A LOT. I'd also like to go with the 20 short action on the rifle. Lighter, shorter bolt throw.

Anyway, basically, what cartrige capable of taking white tail to 2-300 yards will work well with a short barrel and is cheap to buy and/or easy to load? This is a custom rifle and I do reload so wildcats are an option so long as components sont have to be rounded up from a hermit in croatia or some such craziness. All I can come up with are plain old 223 or 6.5 grendel.

Page generated in 0.02568 seconds with 8 queries