View Single Post
Old August 21, 2008, 11:26 AM   #13
Smokey Joe

Will kill, won't kill...

Freezing won't kill germs reliably. Heat will. You cook rabbit until the meat is DONE, and the germs are dead. This "don't eat rabbit during the summer" thing lasts and lasts, though--I had a 90 YO neighbor whom I could not convince that the bunnies he shot in his garden in summer were just the same as the bunnies he shot hunting during January. Oh, well, he gave the summer bunnies to me and I stewed 'em.

Before bacteria were understood it was thought that freezing would kill diseases in meat--Like during the Civil War! Since the time of Pasteur and Lister, we know better.

As to parasites, "worms," etc, same thing applies--you cook it well, it's dead. Between killing and cooking, you refrigerate if the weather is warm, otherwise the meat spoils, and if outdoors, tends to become maggot-infested. Back in the Civil War, there was no refrigeration, either.

Intestinal parasites don't inhabit muscle meat. Don't migrate there. Don't worry about 'em, unless you plan on eating the guts. Muscle cysts are, again, killed by cooking.

Heart and liver--GRRRReat if handled right, but there again, refrigeration and thorough cooking are the key. With liver it's tricky--you pan-fry it until it is grey all through (done) and not one second longer, or it turns tough and chewy. There's a knack to it, kind of like not burning toast. Heart is just another muscle; nothing tricky about it.

[ETA--If the meat is tough and stringy, long, slow, moist cooking (crockpot for example) will take care of that.]

One more time: Refrigeration. Thorough cooking. Period.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; August 21, 2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: The usual--Had another thought.

Page generated in 0.02623 seconds with 8 queries