View Single Post
Old April 17, 2013, 07:54 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

Pass-throughs; RII/NIJ, Strasburg Tests, over-penetration...

I didn't yet read all the topic posts so keep that in mind with my reply, .

I think the correct shooting sports/armed citizen term you mean is: over-pentration.
If a bullet or projectile punches completely though a subject(a living human being who is actively trying to kill you) then it is NOT good.
Over-penetration is a big problem but many US gunners & armed professionals(sworn LE, security officers, PIs, military forces, corrections, bail agents, etc) think in 2013, that the topic is highly over-rated.
I feel there is some merit to this but I also say that if you carry a loaded firearm in a crowded area or work in a court house, medical center, theme park, school or campus, jail/prison, or a ship-yacht-vessel(shipyard), then a frangible or "exotic" round may be a smart choice.
By frangible I mean a load like Glaser Safety Slug(Silver), MagSafe, DRT, TAP, etc.
R&D by the US dept of Justice(National Institute of Justice or NIJ), the FBI, the DoD/DARPA/military and other sources like the Strasburg goat tests of the early 1990s showed that some frangibles do very well & do not cause problems with over-penetration or ricochets.
The FBI's "Protocol" tests also helped show how a round or bullet performs with certain media(auto glass, wood, fiber, etc).

Frangibles are NOT perfect. Many firms & designs have major flaws(ExtremeShock USA, LeMas/RCBD, etc). My state does not allow the use of rounds like Glaser Safety Slugs, TAP, DRT, MagSafe, etc by law for armed security(G license holders).

I would well armed with a frangible but only for limited use & for times when I'd more than likely be at a CQB(close quarters range) and shoot directly into the subject's center torso or head.

ClydeFrog
www.shopcorbon.com www.drtammo.com www.hornady.com www.magsafeonline.com www.rcbd.net

Page generated in 0.03292 seconds with 8 queries