View Single Post
Old November 16, 2011, 03:02 PM   #37
GI Sandv

C-Span Coverage

Rob Woodall from Georgia's 7th District is my new hero. I think his arguments were spot on. While there seems to be consensus among many on this forum that this legislation won't make it past the Senate, I still dislike the whole idea.

This debate has also convinced me that, while the Court can be abused as a vehicle to accomplish what can't be accomplished legislatively, it's role here is essential. As Rob Woodall said, if the 2nd Amendment provides me the right to carry my weapon from state to state, then the 2nd Amendment is enough and no new federal legislation is needed. If it doesn't provide that right, then leave it to the states. I think it does provide that right, but let the Court declare limits like those in Illinois unconstitutional. This is their proper role in our federal system. Our 2nd Amendment rights come from the Constitution, not the federal legislature. The Supreme Court has the right, and it is their role, to interpret the Constitution and, where necessary, strike down unconstitutional laws, even when those laws are passed by a state. However, this right doesn't extend to the Congress. So let Congress stay out of this one and if need be, let the Supreme Court discuss the legality of Iliinois' blanket ban and other similarly restrictive laws in places like New Jersey and California.

Or, better yet, let the states come to this on their own.

Kahr PM9, Springfiled XD9, Browning BPS 12Ga., Browning SA-22.

Page generated in 0.03412 seconds with 8 queries