View Single Post
Old October 1, 2012, 05:02 PM   #4
haskins02

Thanks for clarifying that there is probably no problem with my seating die, and instead the problem is how I use my Collect neck sizing die. I went back to that Lee Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PWdVNg4O98

Brian, you are correct that I misinterpreted it – but only somewhat. The Lee guy said “bullet should not enter case with slight finger pressure.” What is implied (to me) by that remark is that the bullet can enter the case with FIRM finger pressure. If the Lee rep really meant that you should not be able to push a bullet into the case at all, then why did he use the expression “slight finger pressure”?

I neck sized so I can push a bullet in with firm finger pressure, but apparently I need to press down harder on the press (or screw the Collet Die a touch more) so that a bullet cannot be inserted AT ALL with finger pressure. Is that the consensus?

Part of the difficulty is judging just how much pressure to put on the press arm, as I read too much can damage the aluminum head of the Collet die. The Lee video says “about 25 pounds” (other Lee instructions say a “minimum” of 25 pounds). So how can you tell if you are putting 25 pounds? Even if you knew exactly what 25 pounds felt like, since there is no instrument on the press that tells you how much pressure you are applying each time, it seems only reasonable that sometime you may apply 22 pounds and at other times 28 pounds. So that leads to the inevitable question: how does this inherent lack of precision using the Lee Collet Die affect accuracy?

Page generated in 0.03540 seconds with 8 queries