View Single Post
Old November 13, 2019, 10:59 AM   #9
Calfed

Glad to help with the "notches, bam.

Quote:
As an aside, and not to spoil your post, which has great pics and content: most if not all of the auto bandits were taken down by 1935. The M81 went into production 1936 as near as I can tell. It's older brother, the Model 8, would have been the Remington auto rifle of the era, as well as the Winchester '07 and 1910 and their SLR cartridges. No doubt the FBI had Model 81, but I'm thinking they were acquired after the heyday of the auto bandits, or at least the notorious ones, who got droppped in 1933 and 1934.
You are correct about the "motor bandit era"...it was largely fought with weapons other than the model 81, and was over , for the most part, by the time the FBI acquired their model 81's.

The FBI mainly used Winchester 1907's, Colt Monitor's, and Thompsons to fight the "motor bandits" and as you note, the most prominent of the bandits were dead or in prison by the time the Model 81 came out. Interestingly, the FBI also used Springfield 1903 NRA 1903 sporting rifles.

I can find no evidence that the FBI ever had Remington model 8's, but it is certainly true that many of the period lawmen had them and used to to good effect.

I'd love to have a Model 8/81 that had the Peace Officer Equipment detachable high capacity magazine conversion, but those are rare and very pricey.

Last edited by Calfed; November 13, 2019 at 11:04 AM.

Page generated in 0.05363 seconds with 8 queries