View Single Post
Old March 5, 2021, 07:54 PM   #155
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354
I am not worry about accidentally hurting people in the house, I am more worry about going through my house and go into neighbor's house and hurt someone there. The outer wall is a lot stronger than sheetrock.
Not unless your exterior walls are solid brick, all the way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
You can find videos of all the standard pistol calibers going through plywood and cedar shingles or the like. 17 sheets of dry wall stacked together is not an insignificant barrier and most homes these days are framing and paneling that is meant to provide heat/cold protection. They aren’t designed to stop incoming bullets.
This is VERY true. As building codes continue to require more/better insulation, the construction of exterior walls has gotten less, rather than more, substantial. 40 years ago a typical exterior wall of a house was 2x4s at 16" on center, 1/2" CDX plywood exterior sheathing, aluminum or vinyl siding, and 1/2" sheetrock on the inside.

20 years ago that had changed to 2x6s at 24" on center, 7/16" OSB (Oriented Strand Board) sheathing, aluminum or vinyl siding, and 1/2" sheetrock on the interior.

Today it's more typical to find plywood or OSB only on the corners, for wind bracing. The rest of the exterior walls is 2x4s or 2x6s at 24" on center, lightweight foam plastic sheathing, vinyl siding, and 1/2" sheetrock on the inside. Unless a shot hits a stud, that won't even slow a bullet enough to make any difference whatsoever.
Jeepaholic

Page generated in 0.01980 seconds with 8 queries