View Single Post
Old April 26, 2022, 07:14 AM   #64
HiBC

A significant question might be : " Are there ANY Brown/ Kodiak/ Grizzly bears where I hunt deer?
I recall reading some story based on the idea of hunting tigers in India. The suggestion was : " When rabbit hunting in India,be prepared to meet a tiger!"

Its a context thing.

You can carry whatever you want. Where I live,and might deer hunt, the biggest meat eaters I might encounter (and don't worry about) are coyotes,mountain lions,and black bears. I'm more afraid of lightning and Lyme diseased ticks.
Under those circumstances, I'd be perfectly happy to carry my .257 AI or a 250 Savage 99. If I was not hunting, my .44 spl Ruger would be fine on my belt,no rifle required.

There is some species of small deer that lives on Kodiak Island. Is it Coos Deer? I don't remember.
If I were hunting those little deer on Kodiak Island, I'd likely carry a 375 H+H or equivalent. In my hands. I might have a sling with me,in my day pack. But not on the rifle. Slings can snag in bush. There are some times and places where there is no "Administrative time out" I'd have lunch ,or drink coffee,crawl in my sleeping bag, or have my pants down with my rifle at hand.

Most of my elk hunts have involved a pack frame on my back with shelter and provisions for a week above 9000 feet . Any weather is possible. No grizzly bears. Packing in, I was not worried about anything biting me. FWIW,it was usually in the dark,Friday night after work, before opening Saturday morning. Whispers and no fires.
I'd carry my rifle in my hands because thats what I do. And,no,I did not carry a handgun when I carry a rifle. Any rifle suited to elk hunting would be fine.

I've never strapped a rifle to the back of my pack. I have had scree/talus rocks roll out from under my feet,or slipped going downhill on icy rocks. Which is to say I've been body slammed onto my back pack. Not too bad,but I would not want my rifle to break my fall,

Page generated in 0.02156 seconds with 8 queries