View Single Post
Old September 17, 2017, 04:19 PM   #17
jmr40

I've never come across anyone more consistently wrong.

Quote:
due to the excessive recoil. 21.7 ft-lbs. of recoil with a 175 grain bullet at 2870 FPS out of a 9 pound rifle.
21.7 ft lbs is excessive!!! My 308's have that much recoil, of course they are in the 5-6 lb range, but recoil is recoil. I chose to carry a lighter rifle and don't find recoil in the 20 ft lb range to be excessive at all.

A 7 mag shoots the same bullet weights to the same speeds as 30-06 and with almost identical recoil. But in the same bullet weights 7mm bullets have much better BC's. While they start at the same speeds, the 7mm bullets are moving considerably faster beyond 100 yards.

The primary advantage of 7 mags is that you get similar trajectories to the 300 magnums, but with 30-06 recoil. Almost anyone can handle recoil in the low 20's. Once you get to the 300 and 338 magnums recoil is in the 30-40 ft lb range, then you find people who have problems dealing with it.

Quote:
The 7mm Rem Mag is a hunting cartridge that isn't required for any game in North America.
The 7mag is appropriate for any game 30-06 or 270 is appropriate for. It certainly isn't excessive for deer size game with 120-140 gr bullets and will work on the largest North American game with 160-175 gr bullets. For the guy wanting to reach out past 500 yards for game larger than deer in a hunting rifle with the least recoil it is a great choice.

That said, it wouldn't be MY PERSONAL choice. I don't have the skills to shoot that far and I prefer to stay with more mundane cartridges like 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. But that doesn't change the fact that 7 mag is a useful cartridge.

Winston Churchill

Page generated in 0.02084 seconds with 8 queries