View Single Post
Old August 20, 2018, 01:57 AM   #6
marine6680

That is more of a recce build. It can be a very good build for a range of roles, if set up well.

My current recce has an ACOG and offset RMR. After a lot of thought and going on my experiences with the LPV scopes... I decided that they simply are not a replacement for a red dot on 1x.. Not in any kind of real world situations where things don't always go perfectly. LPVs are fine on 1x if everything is going your way, and there are no suprises... But when is that ever a realistic expectation... And if that is the case, why not just have a red dot on an offset mount, and then why have a variable at all if I won't be changing magnification. So I went ACOG... An ACOG with a third party mount, and an RMR in an offset mount, combined... Weigh less than a LPV with mount.

This setup will work well for reaching out to 500yds with better precision, but still be useful and fast inside 25yds using the offset red dot. In mixed terrain, where you go from fairly open areas, into areas that are more confined and present points where close range may be a factor.

In my view, a DMR is a role of more precision, but not a sniper role. So magnification does not need to be very high. An 8x scope is plenty for the role... Some really want more magnification, and if that is the case, 15x is a maximum I would put on anything that is being used inside 600yds. A quality 10x with great glass, forgiving eyebox, and useful reticle is probably the optimal choice for this role... I think an 18in barrel is suitable for the role if you are using 77gr stuff. So you can save a couple inches there.

The enhanced lightweight barrel profiles, like the Gunner, Hanson, and the enhanced lightweight profile from BCM... (Clever name there BCM) Help shed some noticable weight, without sacrificing too much in the way of heat affecting the barrel.

A well made 5.56 chamber can be plenty accurate. My fiance's rifle has a ballisic advantage barrel with a 5.56 chamber, and it shoots the Black hills 77gr stuff into 0.5-0.75moa at 100yds pretty consistently... I have managed multiple groups like that in a row... So long as I am doing my part and I didn't drink too much caffeine, or otherwise have jitters going. That doesn't happen often though, so I tend to get 1-1.25moa most days. That's the key, being steady, calm and not fatigued.

But wanting a handier setup, the recce like setup that you described is a great way to go.

You could put a scope with a bit more magnification on it, and choosing well, you can get one that is fairly light... And then you would have something closer to a DMR rifle. I would say it is good for 450-500yds and still being effective with 77gr stuff. Really I look at 500yds as basically a max for 5.56... just as a general rule of thumb. Extra barrel would help with energy and velocity when out that far though.

Page generated in 0.04512 seconds with 8 queries