View Single Post
Old November 14, 2017, 11:52 PM   #1
Metal god

Rifle primer consistency , which would you prefer ?

The over all question is if you're not using BR/match primers and your primers were inconsistent . Which type of primer would you want . The very high flash almost magnum flash type primers or the lower flash almost match type flash primers ?

I've been giving this some thought lately after trying some different primers in 308 ( Large rifle CCI , Win & Fed 210m ) I bought a brick of the Fed match primers a couple years ago in hopes of really making that uber consistent load after always using Win primers . After multiple load developments I have not found them to be any better then Win primers as far as finding a nice group or ES/SD .

Now I've only loaded about 350 of the Fed match primers but they have all been for load development and my loads don't seem to be any more consistent or group any better . FWIW this is using IMR 4064/4895 , AR-comp with 175gr SMK & TMK as well as 168gr BTHP ( Hornady ) so there are other quality components involved with these loads .

I should add that I'm not loading for a bench rest rifle or anything custom . These are commercial rifles such as Savage model 10 or Ruger PR type quality . This means I can't shoot little tiny bug holes but can consistently do half moa when I try .

So back to the original point , I have to assume you can only get the powder burning so good . The more flash you have at some point does not benefit anything assuming you are using a powder that burns well .

My thinking is if you're going to have any inconsistencies with your primers . I'd think you'd want to use a very high flash primer . Which to me would mean even if a primer had a little less energy then the rest it would still ignite the powder quite well and comparatively consistently . Rather then having a primer that had a lower average flash but at times would have a bigger or even lower flash then it's average do to inconsistencies resulting is the powder burn being inconsistent ???

Which inconsistent type primer would give you the most consistency ? err wait what ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 15, 2017 at 01:55 AM.

Page generated in 0.03493 seconds with 8 queries