View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013, 10:30 AM   #29
Gaerek

I understand Dashunde's point in principal. If the liability for ensuring a firearm is not owned by a felon is on the seller, I sure as hell want a way to ensure the person is not a felon. Do I want it required? No. But I think the option should be available.

On the other hand, we have already have laws against felons owning firearm, laws against murder, robbery, etc. By adding more gun laws, you're not really providing more deterrent to a criminal. You might be making it a bit harder, or more expensive for a felon to possess a gun, but if they want a gun, they can get one...without a background check, and without registration.

As long as the liability for ensuring a felon doesn't possess a firearm is on the felon, and not me (as in, they get an added charge if caught with a gun), I think background checks are absolutely un-needed. We haven't seen a significant decrease in violent crime since NICS was implemented; that decrease in crime has been moving steadily since the late 80's. All background checks do is, at the very least, inconvenience a law abiding citizen, and at worst, prevent a law abiding citizen from purchasing a gun.

Page generated in 0.02412 seconds with 8 queries