View Single Post
Old March 30, 2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I agree with you but the unfortunate fact is, that many of the brain dead public worship these so called celebrities and accept everything they say as fact.That gives them a lot of power to influence the stupid sheep out there. Look how often these "inflated egos" parade themselves before Congress testifying as experts on some issue and folks just lap it up.
Careful, what you are stating is a reflexive statement, even if you don't realize it. Change the word "public" to be "gun owners" and you can see the same process going on. Gun owners are part of the public and they also have a goodly percentage of folks involved in celebrity worship and hanging on their words, be it a gun celebrity like Jeff Cooper or Clint Smith, or a media celebrity like Ted Nugent or Tom Selleck. You can find the gun people here sometimes deferring to potential life or death presituational decision-making by reasoning that "If it is good enough for _______ (e.g., Clint Smith), then it is good enough for me."

There is a lot to be said for celebrity worship's influence on decision-making of the general populace. Owning a gun and being pro 2A doesn't change this about anybody. There are plenty of pro 2A that are followers who will default to do what is said by pro-gun celebrities. If somebody is famous and a given person likes that famous person, then they are apt to respect them and what they say, especially when the famous person is perceived as being in an elevated position such as is afforded by celebritidom.

Did you notice that for a while, Sarah Palin could do no wrong in the eyes of many gun owners?

And yes, Arnold and the others are celebrities. You may not be a fan, but that does not change their status.

It should not matter what Arnold or Ted thinks or believes to the rest of us, after all, each is only one person with one vote, but it does matter.

Page generated in 0.03114 seconds with 8 queries