View Single Post
Old October 25, 2012, 03:04 PM   #86
Doug S

Quote:
I think there's some truth to this. As much as people who own expensive guns sometimes lord it over those who do not, equally as often if not more so people with cheap guns deride owners of expensive guns for wasting money. Common phrases in such posts include "This $400 X-brand gun did everything the $650 Y-brand gun could do" and "I don't need to spend [amount] extra for a brand name."

This isn't a guns-only issue. I think it's a common issue in cars, watches, and stereo equipment, too. The BMW owner thinks the Honda owner settled for average, the Honda owner things the BMW owner is full of himself and bought an unnecessarily expensive car. The Rolex owner thinks the Seiko owner classless and the Seiko owner thinks the Rolex-owner a brand slave.

We'd all be better off to just acknowledge the actual truth of the matter. We all can't afford the nicest things. Sometimes the nicest things aren't measurably any better than cheaper things, but on the flip side of that, sometimes the cheaper things fail where the nicest things do not.

The core issue is both Taurus owners and higher-end owners associating self-image with their brand.

For me, I only care if guns work. They're a lifesaving tool. If the three Taurus firearms my family owned had functioned, I would own a stable full of them. Since they didn't, they were discarded. We can only make the best choices for us with the best information we have at the time.
I couldn't agree more, or have said it better myself. I've been attacked more than once for honestly sharing my negative experiences with Taurus guns. My experience with Taurus mirrors yours, except I was dumb enough to buy a bit more than 3 before figuring things out. Although...I do like my Honda very much.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Doug S; October 25, 2012 at 03:12 PM.

Page generated in 0.02278 seconds with 8 queries