View Single Post
Old April 15, 2012, 08:05 PM   #1
olivestab

COLT New Service 455 ELEY Markings? *PICS*

hello,
I am still green to the firearm world after owning my first handgun (passed down by the family) just over 2 months ago.
however Ownership and various military related things have been part of my lifestyle since childhood,
and i am always eager to learn new things.

I recently obtained a New Service 455 ELEY revolver pistol.
At first i tried to do some research online about where its from, and all i could uncover was that it was used in WW1 and for Boarder Patrol.
(i don't even know if this is correct)

There are some strange stamps on the gun, and i have always wondered what they mean,
I read that they where certain stamps issued by different armies as firearms circulate through the military, but thats about all i know.

Also, i watched a video of someone using the gun, its a 45btw, and he was very satisfied with the performance of the 100yo gun.
However one thing he said struck me, he mentioned that it only fires "45 COLT".
Isn't "45 COLT" just a brand?? I figure i could purchase any normal 45ammo.

reason why I'm so concerned is because i would hate to dish out the extra bucks just because of the brand name.
Idk about you guys, but Ammunition sold at walmarts is a STEAL! and i would hate to pass up this luxury if this gun cannot fire normal 45 ammunition.

one last thing, my grandmother in law told me that she tried to sell the gun back (30 some odd years ago)
and they told her they couldn't do anything with it, so she kept it in her house for defense.

Im wondering why they would say that? i think the gun is only worth like 50-100$ -would that be the reason?

anyways, if someone could confirm my 45 ammo question, and possibly let me know what these marking mean, i would be very grateful.

here is the gun at full view:

here is the gun with cylinder facing out. (if anyone notices anything wrong please inform me)

Another view of cylinder for diagnostic purposes: (courtesy of my wife helping to hold it for me!)

View of the guns service name:

View of the guns markings (what to they mean)

Page generated in 0.02308 seconds with 8 queries