View Single Post
Old August 17, 2011, 03:07 AM   #406
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm thinking the American Eagle 100 grain soft point bullet moving at 1,500 feet per second and generating right at 500 foot pounds of kinetic energy is probably enough to put the sting into most folks' palms after a few cylinders.

That's about as much power as I figure I'll ever want from a snubby.
Out of the SP101, you feel it (not too bad). I imagine it wouldn't be bad out of the GP100 (1,580-1,600 fps?). From the Blackhawk (1,700+ fps )... It's nothing. I'm really not sure about the S&W or Taurus revolvers - their frames and grips are different (of course).

Quote:
I thought the idea of the 327 magnum was a really good one. The only problem I see with the round is that no major manufacturer seems to be loading the round to its full CUP potential.
You have to remember that SAAMI requires a little "safety buffer" in factory loads, to allow for in-lot variations, and lot-to-lot variations. So... if they want pressure to remain safe, with lot-to-lot variation, in, say, the 7.5" Sparrowhawk; you won't be getting absolute maximum pressures with something like the Taurus snubbie or Ruger SP101.

I believe strongly enough that the cartridge is being loaded to its full potential, that I have plans to take multiple species of Deer, a Blackbear, and Bobcat(s) with my Blackhawk, within the next 2 years. (I would have larger game on the list, but the states I hunt in exempt the cartridge, simply because it is not .35 caliber, or larger. It meets all other requirements. ) I may end up using some hand loads, but the current factory offerings would be plenty. I'm also having a really hard time saying "no" to getting another .327. These cheap Taurus 327s with a 2" barrel are very, very tempting. (I very much dislike Taurus, but think it may be worth taking the risk. )

I know I am the odd man out, but, for me, the .327 really is the next .357. (It will never replace the .357 in the firearms world. ....But it will always outnumber them in my gun safe.)

And, my last word for the night:
We do need just a couple more tough 'hunting' bullets for the .327. Hey, Swift, make me some A-Frames. Nosler, make me some Partitions. Woodleigh, give me a hydrostatically-stabilized solid.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; August 17, 2011 at 03:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.03112 seconds with 8 queries