View Single Post
Old October 4, 2010, 07:29 AM   #12
stubbicatt

I remember reading somewhere that the velocity loss per inch of barrel in the case of the 308 was about 30 fps. So someone is telling me that 120 fps difference in muzzle velocity will allow the 22 inch barrel to reach out much further than the 18" barrel?

I've seen military ammo shot over the sky screens with nearly a 90 fps extreme spread in velocities. I imagine something like this will have a bit of vertical dispersion at ranges over 300 meters anyways, but it still hits on the same target.

While it may be somewhat off topic, I guess that is why I opted to load the Lapua Scenar 155s in my bolt gun, as they have the same BC as the 175 Sierra Match King, but you can get a couple hundred FPS out of them which is supposed to stretch the supersonic range to about 1200 meters or so, if you believe the online software. (The comeups are right on out to 800 as predicted by the software).

Also, as anybody who has shot highpower for awhile will attest, there are "fast" barrels and "slow" barrels for the same ammo, and one never knows what he will get when he rebarrels his receiver. While probably not close to 120 fps, I imagine a fast 18'er will shoot right up with a slow 22, don't you suppose.

Page generated in 0.04004 seconds with 8 queries