View Single Post
Old October 9, 2009, 10:48 AM   #33
wyobohunter

Quote:
Rangefinder, Specific hunt location is just south of Kremmling, CO.
Awesome area, when I lived in Wyo I'd hunt the border area (Wyoming side) just north of there.
Quote:
where do you buy wax to melt and dip strips of corrugated cardboard in for fire starters?
Hobby store, dryer lint works even better than cardboard IMO

Quote:
What's with the candles (several have suggested them)? The tents at base camp will have lanterns, so the candles are used for what?
If you end up having to bivouac or siwash (unplanned night on the mountain) you can wrap the space blanket (the one you should carry along with the one quality emergency type candle) around you in a sort of seated huddle and light the candle. You'd be surprised at how warm this can keep you for very little weight. I spent a night at over 12,000' (Grand Teton) during a late August blizzard using this trick. It weren't fun but I still gots all my parts

Quote:
No cotton? Not even over a pair of light thermals, with heavy thermals, i.e., as the third and fourth layer?
Nope, and here is why. Cotton soaks up water (and sweat), takes forever to dry and draws lots of heat away from your body. That's why cotton is so good in hot envitonments and you prolly wear it in the summer. Although Poly-Cotton blends (heavy on the poly, light on the cotton) make good long underwear. I'm not sure why the cotton is OK when blended with Polyester, but it is. I wear it while out & about during the winter.
Speaking of sweat, try not to. You should hike "comfortably cool" and save the extra layers for when you stop to glass. It's well worth the little bit of time it takes to adjust your layers as your activity level changes. Also, you lose mose of your body heat through the top of your head. Keep a nice stocking cap handy, it's the first thing you should put on to warm up and the first thing you take off to cool down.

Quote:
I do have one pair of Army wool "field pants, and a military wool sweater, and a civilian wool sweater with hood. Have wool socks,
Perfect! Wool retains about 80% of its insulating qualities if it gets soaking wet. Fleece (polyester pile) is about the same, it is lighterweight but not as durable as wool.

Quote:
plus a pair of those "space socks" (white, thin fabric with conspicuous silver threads - works like the silver emergency blankets, I suppose. Put them next to the skin, or layered over wool socks, or don't use them at all?
Next to the skin, they wick moisture away and help prevent blisters.
Don't forget a wing breaker.
Have fun, I really miss Elk hunting.

Last edited by wyobohunter; October 9, 2009 at 11:02 AM.

Page generated in 0.02910 seconds with 8 queries