View Single Post
Old September 17, 2007, 08:31 PM   #73
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
I guess I'm going to have to get back in the gym, and, I don't mean just lifting weights..;.
Not to hijack this thread, but I've started on that idea.

I was always a weights/Stairmaster kind of guy. Served me well.

Then about one year ago, I saw some advertising on our local TV for a 'conditioning' gym. Lots of guys doing some bizarre stuff. I ignored it.

But I did catch snippets of the training used by the actors getting ready to film "300." Same stuff, lots of conditioning.

But I had heard of a strange training concept called "The Weider Muscle Confusion Technique." Some weight lifters fall into a routine and stop making gains. A dramatic change-up in technique, intensity and routine seemed to pay benefits.

Last month I found a guy in our gym who was willing to be my lifting partner as we experimented with technique.

One day we raced from machine to machine. One day I picked the routine and he kept guessing. One day we stretched after an intense work-out on machines we had never used. I think next week we'll jog, then lift and top it off with a swim.

I know one thing, I have that old 'fire in the belly' to get to the gym once again. My bi's and tri's are thicker. Last week they lowered 300 pounds down onto my chest, and I slowly contained the weight as it came to rest softly on the rubber.

We talk here a lot about preparedness, and I think we mean mental acuity.

I believe active conditioning should be a part of our defensive strategy.

Page generated in 0.03140 seconds with 8 queries