View Single Post
Old March 17, 2005, 09:17 PM   #16
Garand Illusion

You know ... I'll argue with any anti ... but when you get hit with so much BS at one time ... where do you start?

Personally, I'm scared of cars. I've buried a lot of friends who were in car accidents. But I understand their use, and I know we're better of with them than without them. Cars are empowering because most of us can't walk 20 miles a day to work, and old/disabled people may not be able to walk at all. God made some men good walkers, some men poor walkers, but Ford made all men equal.

I'm willing to bet that about any American has buried more friends and families with cars than with guns.

And it's so easy to throw out deep sounding BS lines like ...

Quote:
I have buried too many friends and family members who died from shooting incidents.
when you don't have to back it up with facts or even anecdotes.

A friend of mine who's radically anti gun once tried to get away with that crap. We'd been having a friendly debate over beer but she was getting mad because she was losing. Finally she just shook her head sadly and said, "You can make any argument you want, but I'm just against guns. I've seen too much of what they can do."

I countered with, "Well, I sometimes hate what guns do, but I just know too much about history to be for taking them away."

This ticked her off, because she considers herself a student of history.

"How many times,' I asked her, "within our century has a democracy been seized by a tyrant? Could it happen here? Why not? Is there some reason we Americans are just better than the Germans or the people of the Balkans?" (that's a good question to ask, BTW, because most extreme liberals consider Americans intrinsically the worse and stupidest people on Earth).

She stuttered at that, and I said "As the world's last superpower, the government HAS to be responsible to us. I don't like hearing about school shootings or gun accidents either, and I'm all for safety and pretty much a nut about it, but freedom has a price and we citizens have to be responsible for our government and our own security."

She couldn't answer that one, so she bought the next round and we changed the subject. She's still an anti, BTW, but I have gotten her to finally admit that people should be able to at least own firearms in their houses for their own defense. That's a victory in itself .

Page generated in 0.03174 seconds with 8 queries