View Single Post
Old September 18, 2018, 11:00 AM   #19
FarmerIvan

So, I live in Northwestern Washington, and my house if off a highway. We split a driveway with our neighbors and most of them live near the river that runs along their property and I would say it is a good half mile to 3/4 of a mile away from our fence line. We have an old trail that runs behind our house where the train use to run through way back when so often times we get people and I'm sure predators too, walking through, looking at our hogs in the back pastures, with trees surrounding them.Our livestock range from cats, dogs, chickens, to piglets, sows and a boar to calves, cows and a bull. Our property is about 6 and a half acres with field fencing around the perimeter and trees covering the perimeter as well. Our cattle usually roam all over the property and we generally have a good sight of them, except when they're in the back pasture of the woods with the hogs. The hogs on the other hand are a ways from the house and are in a small paddock and penned up. For the most part, were surrounded by trees, sticker brush, and some wetlands, river and mountain range. We generally have coons and sometimes coyotes lurking around in the past. That was, before we had dogs. Recently, our neighbors have spotted or so they say have reported seeing a mountain lion roaming through their property twice. And their have been numerous reports of mountain lions being spotted in the town near us as well. Our neighbor across the highway has also seen black bears running through his property which is not far from ours. Recently my dad had heard my dogs barking at a coon near our chicken coop. And we've lost many chickens and waterfowl to coons in the past. So, maybe a shot gun would be a good start as well? I have shot my dads .22 and I also carry a S&W M&P Shield on me. So, I'm just looking at some options in case I ever have to deal with any of those types of predators, not that I would shoot em off the bat but in case they ever decide to go after my livestock or a family member or I.

Page generated in 0.03375 seconds with 8 queries