View Single Post
Old January 14, 2009, 04:04 AM   #3
evan1293

Quote:
During a home defense incident what ranges would you expect to engage a BG and how would you confirm then aim, and what would be your preferred type of sight. Also, what are good ways to practice? The reason I ask is that is seems distances between the defender and the offender in a house are quite close. Given the time to locate, identify, decide whether to shoot all occurs in seconds or fractions (sometimes very small fractions) of a second. So, what works for you? And, how do you plan to do it, or have done it?
With in ranges typically found in a house (contact to 25' or so) weapon retention becomes critical. At 6', a threat can easily disarm you or at least put up a good fight with you over your own weapon. I've had the privalage of training with some good folks here in CT doing force on force exercises. What I found was that my typical shooting-range "stances" went out the window, when the situation became a dynamic one. On the range, most people shoot at targets that are positioned directly in front of them. They usually place these targets 10, 15, or 25 yards down range. Statistics show gun fights happen, often times, much closer, and in one's home, an altercation is almost a gaurantee to be a close quarters one. Rather than having targets always in front of us, in our homes and on the streets threats can occur from all kinds of odd angles. Because of this, I've started working with the CAR system of shooting and have found it to work well in close-quarter type environments. The CAR system is explained well on the www.sabretactical.com website as well as www.ipdsystems.com. Basically its a collapsed weaver stance that brings the gun in close to the operator's body. It works off a bladed stance or an officer's interview stance which is a proven stance for stability. Because its collapsed it allows the operator to move more effectively in tight areas, while maintaining superior weapon retention over traditional range stances.

There are various methods of sighting with this shooting system, all of which depend on the distance of the engagment. At contact to about 5', a body index alignment is utilized. A little further out, the gun is brought up into the line of sight and the eye maintains its focus on the threat. At around 5-10 yards the front sight is used, being lined up with the eye opposite to the firing hand (right hand-left eye; left hand-right eye).

This system works well for me and has proven to be quite effective in force on force.

Last edited by evan1293; January 14, 2009 at 04:15 AM.

Page generated in 0.04184 seconds with 8 queries