View Single Post
Old April 2, 2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Lost Sheep

How is a Lee Turret "like" a progressive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
Some folks say that the turret press is like a progressive... It's not.
You are correct on all points.

But the Lee Turret presses have ONE and only one characteristic that IS like a progressive. Note that I say "like". Mode of operation.

Progressive presses' natural mode of operation takes empty cases and processes them to completed rounds without removing them from the press. Straight-through processing.

Single stage presses' natural mode of operation takes batches of empty cases and processes them one step at a time, inserting and removing an entire batch of the cases between swapping dies. Batch processing.

Turret presses can operate in either mode.

The natural mode of every turret press except the Lee turrets is the batch mode. They can operate in the straight-through mode, but somewhat inefficiently, if you are willing to manually re-position the turret every stroke of the ram.

The Lee turrets operate (with the auto-indexing turned on) most naturally in the straight-through mode.

That is how the Lee turrets can be said to be "like" a progressive.

The Lee Turrets can convert to the batch mode by simply deactivating the auto-indexing.

Sevens, it bothers me, too, when people overstate their case, but in this comparison I think the likening is valid.

It does not do multiple operations simultaneously, but it does straight-through loading pretty efficiently.

Respectfully,

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.03735 seconds with 8 queries