View Single Post
Old February 10, 2007, 11:07 AM   #1
Lurper

Do you really feel safe?

I've noticed that a lot of people here carry sub-standard man stopper calibers for self-defense. By that I mean 38 spl or smaller.
The question is: Do you really feel safe carrying a small caliber gun?

These are the guidelines in which I ask the question.
1. Don't preach to me about shot placement - my placement is good with whatever pistol I use. If you have trained properly, your placement is as good with a .44 mag as with a .22 mag.

2. Don't use the "a small gun in pocket beats big gun at home" argument. It's true but it doesn't address the underlying issue. If you have the option of carrying a bigger (read: more effective) gun, why don't you?

3. Don't justify it by saying a big gun is too heavy. Weight is not an issue if you are dead. Unless you have some legitimate reason that requires you to carry a small gun.

These are the undisputable facts (yet some continue to argue them): larger caliber handguns are far more effective in stopping an attack with one shot than smaller calibers. Yes, there are cases where small calibers have resulted in one shot stops, but they are statisical outlyers.

Obviously, I am biased - I have always carried a 1911, Officer's acp, or L frame S&W. I just want to understand the rationale behind your decision.

Page generated in 0.02602 seconds with 8 queries