View Single Post
Old October 5, 2022, 08:54 PM   #18
TunnelRat

What do you consider a "safety"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
I disagree.

Isn't the snagging garment /poorly placed finger firing the gun the very definition of "inadvertent operation"?? (or one of them, anyway??)

As far as I can see the only thing that "absolutely prevents inadvertent operation" is not having any ammunition in the gun.

And I mean actually no ammunition physically present in the gun, not just the BELIEF that there is no ammo in the gun.

Despite the presence of every safety and safety feature the maker builds into the gun, people have, and can "inadvertently operate" the gun and fire it.

Based on the definition of “inadvertent” and the fact that it wasn’t further clarified in the comment to which I was replying, passive safeties do in fact prevent a from of inadvertent discharge. Snagging of the trigger is one form of inadvertent discharge, but it is not the only form. I specifically gave a form which is prevented, or at the very least mitigated, by passive safeties.

Looking at your additional comments, I’ll add that my use of the word absolutely was meant as, “it is absolutely true that a passive safety can prevent a form of inadvertent discharge”. This was in response to a blanket statement saying passive safeties do “nothing” to prevent inadvertent discharges. This was not meant to be read as me saying “passive safeties prevent inadvertent discharges absolutely”. I thought it was clear what I meant, but I will go back and make the edit. I am also aware that despite passive or active safeties people can inadvertently discharge firearms. I specifically mentioned such a scenario in the comment from which you quoted and I’ve repeated the same in multiple threads, including sharing my own experience of an inadvertent discharge with a pistol that had an active safety in the form of a manual safety and what I guess we would call a passive safety in the form of a magazine disconnect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; October 5, 2022 at 10:36 PM.

Page generated in 0.03749 seconds with 8 queries