View Single Post
Old August 4, 2021, 04:03 PM   #5
BobCat45

Thank you hounddawg!

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I was going to start at 20 grains. Currently OAL is right about 2.500 +/- 0.005 - that is 1.980" from the comparator datum on the ogive, to the case head. It is much longer than mag length (2.260") and about 0.030" off the lands. So that gives some more room under the bullet base.

The Hodgdon book max for IMR 4064 with 80 SMK is 22.7 grains. I started at 21.0 and wound up at 24.0 with no primer flattening, then I got cold feet. Reloder 15, same bullet/case/primer, 24.2 grains shoots great but Re 15 is not IMR 4064.

It is odd, if you look at https://www.accurateshooter.com/cart...guides/223rem/ Sierra published two pamphlets for .223 Rem - one for gas guns and one for bolt guns. The bolt gun max for IMR 4064 is 24.8 grains; the AR max is 23.8 grains - so I think they are not worried about the case strength as much as the action.

Anyway Sierra did not list AA 4064 so that's why I'm out here off the edge of the map, trying to avoid dicing with dragons.

I'll give up velocity for consistency - just have to read wind better.

Funny this started with my running our of IMR 4895 for the Garand last winter, and buying an 8-lb can of IMR 4064 from a friend. Shoots great in the Garand and I got to thinking about using it in the Ar spacegun, and it worked like a charm, shot most of it up, went looking for more, and stumbled on AA 4064 in stock. And off the map as it were.

Page generated in 0.03042 seconds with 8 queries