View Single Post
Old July 1, 2001, 02:32 PM   #2
BigG

I got a little book with my Pedersoli Brown Bess that quotes loads for different muzzle loaders. I can post some data if you give me the caliber.

I too built a CVA Mountain Rifle .54 kit back in the early 80s. The gun will hold quite a bit of powder but the accuracy seems to be best when there is about 80 grains behind the patched round ball, IIRC.

I worked up loads firing over clean snow. As you increase the powder you will notice plenty more unburned grains after around 80 grains. The older muzzle loaders had longer bbls than the typical Hawken type we see so often now. So I believe that you are just wasting powder if you increase the charge once you have found that accuracy load.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC

Page generated in 0.02777 seconds with 8 queries