View Single Post
Old February 5, 2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Technosavant

I have one. I also have a 642, which is similar in concept (hammerless J frame sized wheelgun), but completely different in execution (the Bodyguard 38 has a completely different design).

There was a batch of BG38s where the barrel was attached improperly. My first one was one of these... it shot about 2 feet to the left at 7 yards. S&W replaced the gun at no cost to me; I can't complain about that service (if something goes wrong, best they fix it quickly and without hassle- S&W is known for good service).

My BG38, once replaced, has been solid. It shoots well and the plastic frame and lighter trigger make it slightly easier to shoot than the 642 (the 642 gives the feel of being capable of more accuracy, but in practice the BG38 is easier to shoot, so both guns are effectively as accurate in my hands). It isn't a good gun for a beginner- the kick is still substantial, but if you put in the time to learn it you will find it becomes manageable.

The laser is not the selling point it really should have been. Activation is awkward at best, making it less useful in a pinch. IMO, the laser is NOT a reason to buy this gun... a Ruger LCR with the Crimson Trace grips is going to be a better laser assisted platform. But the base Bodyguard 38 is indeed competent and worth a look.

Page generated in 0.02698 seconds with 8 queries