View Single Post
Old June 30, 2011, 03:44 PM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
This is hypothetical, I'd use my shotgun in case of a break in. But say one has a bayonet fixed to there rifle and confronted an attacker stabbing him in the stand off. Lets say the perp had a knife and you wanted to even it up. Would you be right in your actions?
A bayonet is lethal force just like a knife or a firearm. If you are legally justified in using lethal force, then a bayonet is as good as a firearm legally speaking. Now, might the fact that you used a bayonet be used to suggest you were not justified in your use of lethal force? I suppose that could happen in some scenarios. Without knowing the specific self-defense laws of your state, I couldn't really say.

Quote:
In addition like many my bayonet is an old triangle shape blade with a flat tip that is banned by the geneva convention would I still be ok?
I think you are trying to refer to the Hague Convention. The Geneva Conventions of 1949 deal with care for the wounded, sick, non-combatants, and prisoners of war.

Nowhere do the Hague Conventions ban 3-sided bayonets. They do ban weapons "calculated to cause unnecessary suffering" in Article 23; but I've not found any legal opinion stating that such bayonets were illegal. I think this is more likely "gun store myth."

Page generated in 0.03249 seconds with 8 queries