View Single Post
Old November 29, 2000, 12:40 PM   #11
JMC

>>JMC: What techniques have you tried for your loads? If I understand you right your saying the best loads for your 7STW are over MOA? Have you tried changing OAL of cartridge a bit? Are you sure it isn't the gun or scope? I am just curious. I assume the barrel is free floated? If so, sometimes adding a pressure point will help. BTW have you tried RL 22? What will the gun do consistently? 1.25 MOA?<<

I use a Stoney Point Chamber-All to test and set the COL for the STW and have tried numerous lengths.

It is not the scope, rings or bases that is the issue here.

The barrel is free floated in the H-S Precision stock. It is made that way. I had it bedded along with the aluminum bedding block to elieviate any chance of movement in the stock and the gun is not taken out of the stock.

I have tried RL22 but favor IMR7828 or H4831 for best accuracy and velcoity. As I said, I understand that the new RL 25 is very good in the STW but I have not tried it.

I find that I get the best accuracy when I use once fired Rem. 8mm Rem. Mag. brass FL re-sized after fire forming to my chamber and I take care in the loading. I ream the inside of the necks and uniform the primer pockets. These loads are where I use the Fed. GM215M primers and of course, weight each powder charge exactly.

As far as accuracy here are a couple of examples:

Different reloaded 140's range from .670 - 1.44 for several 3 shot groups at 100 yds.

Remington factory 140's range from .992 - 1.667 at 100 yds.

The STW is very critical as to bore fouling and needs to be cleaned very well on a regular basis with a copper type remover to retain it's accuracy but this is true of any high velocity cartridge. If you really want to foul your bore in an STW use Barnes X bullets. It will take for ever to get the copper out.

My rifle will give me very good hunting accuracy out to 400 yds. The STW is not meant to be a target rifle capable of constant sub MOA accuracy but one would like it to be as cloase to that as possible. It will keep 3 shots inside of a 6" paper plate at 375 yds. from the prone position as would be use in a hunting situation. That's more than adequate for most use.

Page generated in 0.02909 seconds with 8 queries