View Single Post
Old November 18, 2007, 02:17 PM   #16
taylorce1

Quote:
And for the gentleman that sated that stated the .270 is close in recoil to the 7mm-08 that is not correct. The 7mm-08 with a 7.5 lb rifle will shoot 10.6 lbs of recoil where the .270 in the same weight rifle will shoot 16.1 lbs of recoil. That is around 40% more.
I guess I'm that gentleman (never been called that before).

Actually I wanted to know why the 7mm-08, and now it seems you wanted something with less recoil than your .270 Win. I find recoil more of a perception than actual math, as a lot of factors go into recoil other than weight of the rifle and mass of bullet and size of powder charge. I'll agree that the 7mm-08 will recoil less than the .270, and I've shot some .270 rifles that the recoil wasn't as pleasant as my .270. I haven't found that much difference in recoil between a 7mm-08 I've shot or my .270 either.

If you don't enjoy shooting your .270 or want a lighter recoiling rifle for another member of your family then go with the 7mm-08. I never said it wasn't a good round. When I go looking for a rifle I look at what the caliber will do for me and the animal I'm hunting. For deer the 7mm-08 is just too close in performance to the .270, and it just wasn't making sense to buy it because Wal-Mart had one in stock.

Page generated in 0.03241 seconds with 8 queries