View Single Post
Old March 8, 2006, 01:01 PM   #25
mack59

invention 45 - no offense taken - I thought it was a legitimate question.

There is a big difference between being willing to kill and wanting to kill.

biglabsrule - I feel you are right that it is a good thing that killing even animals is not an easy thing - I think we would be a better society if everyone at one time in their life had to kill or slaughter an animal and process the meat. It seems that some people are so insulated from the realities of life and death.

Regarding the previous discussion on the commonness of killing human beings - I beleive it is not a common thing when you look at the population of the country and then you consider the number of murders in a given year - it is uncommon. Killing people is abnormal - especially if one is talking murder. While I do believe that virtually anyone is capable of murder and such evil, I also believe that the vast majority of us will never murder, or even have to kill in self-defense.

That is not to say that there aren't some individuals who not only kill people, but who actually enjoy it, there are those individuals out there. Most murderers are socio-paths, who have no feelings or real regard for others, if you have something they want, they don't care, they will do whatever gets them what they want without regard for whoever gets hurt or killed in the process. I see a lot of socio-paths/individuals with anti-social personality disorder every year - the vast majority are mostly law abiding and will never kill anyone, primarily because they don't see it as being in their best interest to do so - they see the consequences, (jail, prison, death penalty, loss of job, loss of money, loss of freedom, social isolation), as far outweighing the benefits. Also most of these individuals would not necessarily take pleasure in killing - killing would simply be a means to an end. There are however those rare individuals who actually do take pleasure from killing - I thankfully have never personally met one - at least that I know. Those individuals are the truly scary ones. The ones that enjoyed war cause they got to kill people, or who liked being an officer or border patrolman because they had the chance to shoot people, or who become mass murders - like Bundy, Gacy, Dahmer, or Pedro Lopez.

Page generated in 0.03571 seconds with 8 queries