View Single Post
Old February 6, 2006, 10:16 AM   #8
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Bullets: Light/fast/narrow vs. Heavy/slow/broad

taylorce1 - -
I also agree that either rifle can do a good job. My first two hogs were taken from a deer stand using a .257 Roberts with 100 gr. handloads. With good light, a steady rest, and range under 75 yards, I was able to plant the bullets pretty precisely in the neck and earhole, respectively. They were shots of convenience.

After seeing how BIG the hogs got, when I started hunting them on purpose, I used my .30'06 and 165 Sierra Game King bullets. Even using this larger, more powerful rifle and far heavier bullets, my next two hogs did NOT die on the spot. One went a hundred yards of so into very thick brush, which made for some rather tense tracking on hands and knees. Happily, he'd given up the ghost before we spotted him. The next one was a solid hit on a large (200 pounds?) sow. Two reliable witnesses and I all saw dust fly from her back and she still went away fast. We beat the bushes for an hour and never found a drop of blood.

Since you seem to like the idea of lever guns anyhow, I suggest your Marlin would be very good for anything below, say, 150 yards. The Remington 200 gr factory load goes about 2000 fps at the muzzle, and you can safely beter this with handloads. Speer's 220 gr. SP will go 1800 to 1900 fps with book loads. I'm beginning to subscribe to the theory that most hog hunters do better with with larger, slower bullets than light, high velocity ones. Feral hogs, especially the larger, older, ones, have extremely thick hides, covered with really tough hair, which is often caked with dried mud. I recently took a 250-pounder, and the wounds indicate the Speer 250 gr. .35 Whelen bullet was already expanding before it ever got into the chest.

I fully agree that "tradition" and "looks" really DEMAND iron sights on a lever action. You mention possibly mounting a tang sight on your 336. These are pretty nifty, all right, epecially for cowboy action shooting. For hunting use, though, I strongly prefer the receiver mount ghost ring sight. They are always in position, super rapid to acquire, and just about bulletproof if you get the right one. My Marlin .45-70 wears the older Ashley Outdoors sight with matching front. The same sight is now offered by XS. I also hear good things about the Wild West Guns ghost ring, but haven't examined one.

Best of luck on your hawg hunt.
Johnny

Page generated in 0.03035 seconds with 8 queries