View Single Post
Old November 13, 1998, 05:47 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Before you touch the barrel or the ramp, have you checked your magazine?

Are the lips parallel and straight?

Upon disassembly, is the spring straight or does it have a kink in it?

Is the follower in good shape?

No dents on the magazine tube?

Next, look at the type of ammo you're trying to shoot.

Factory or handloads? Regardless, did you try dropping each round into the chamber of the disassembled gun?

Flying ashtrays (hollow points) may not have an ogive conducive to semiautomatic feeding. Have you tried other types of ammo and found that they work?

Inspect your breechface for burrs which may cause hangups. It should be smooth and your finger shouldn't catch on any displaced metal. Be sure to check around the firing pin hole too for burrs.

Sorry if I'm being evasive, but I'd like to rule out the lesser causes of misfeeds before tackling the mroe expensive jobs.

Cleaning up a ramp isn't hard, but try those other suggestions first. If you have to touch your ramp, it's not a matter of how shiny but how smooth it is. Whether you use files, a dremel tool (ugh) or emery cloth, go very very slow and test occasionally with dummy ammo. I don't recommend opening any part of the barrel which supports the case. While a .380 is low pressure compared to its larger brethen, it's still not good to risk a blowout (in case the brass is weak).

For greater details, Gun Doc George Stringer or our own gunsmiths here may have more courage than I to share greater details. Mebbe you should take it to a 'smith for $20-30?

Page generated in 0.03291 seconds with 8 queries