View Single Post
Old April 15, 2009, 07:07 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Quote:
How hot should I make my loads? A friend told me that 20~30 grain loads would be good, but I read online from someone who made his loads as hot as 70 grains for this gun! I'm wary of running super hot loads as I realize this is just a brass frame gun and I don't want to hurt her.
With the brass frame I would start with a 20-22 gr load and would not go higher than 28gr. My 44 Buffalo shoots good with 25gr load and a 454 rb.

Quote:
I ordered the gun from Cabela's and it comes with 30 round balls size .454, should I continue to use this size ball? Any brand preferences?
If the 454 shaves a complete ring when seating then it's fine.

Quote:
I've also been told to use a few different kinds of lubricants such as Crisco and Cabela's brand, but a few folks have told me not to even bother at all.
If you shave a good ring when you seat the ball then you have sealed the chamber and a lube is not needed. Adding a lube is additional protection from crossfires, plus lube keeps the fouling soft and makes the revolver easier to clean. Do a search on 'grease cookie' here and you well get more info.

Page generated in 0.03640 seconds with 8 queries