View Single Post
Old August 1, 2011, 08:47 AM   #40
L_Killkenny

Quote:
To not call a spade a spade is dishonest.
I take my numbers straight from handloads.com and from Buffalo Bore's site where they even state that their heavy .357's match .30-30. Instead of just callin it dishonest why don't you come up with facts that dispute it?

You don't think a .357 carbine is enough for deer. And if you're shots are over 100 yards most of the time it may not be the best choice. But .357 handguns have proven effective on deer with proper loadings 1000's of times. I have no issues with 50 yard handgun shots on deer and your own state has a minimum of 400 ft/lbs. (like that means anything, bureaucrats ) which falls right in line with what has been proven. So let's compare a .357 handgun at 50 yards (450 ft/lbs?) and rifle or carbine. A rifle/carbine has, by your own number, over 900lt/lbs at 100 yards. Twice the distance and twice the energy. Out of a rifle or carbine the .357 doesn't drop to handgun levels till past 300 yards. So "by the numbers" even if (BIG IF) a .357 handgun is marginal than there is no way that a .357 carbine/rifle is marginal at 100 or 150 yards. Which due to a rainbow trajectory is the practical limits for them. Let's not forget that a .357 carbine/rifle carries more power than any .44M handgun but I'm guessing that you don't think a .44M handgun isn't enough for deer either?

But those are just "numbers" and in the field they don't mean much. What does count is the fact that a .357 will punch right thru a chest shot deer at any angle out to "reasonable" distances and it will die just as quick as if shot with any other round. Shoot it in the gut and a .30-06 won't run any less or die any quicker. Yes, .357 may be marginal for you. But that's not due to the cartridge or platform, it's due to the fact your shots are longer and you can't/won't adjust for the range. It's a matter of trajectory not power and I wouldn't either. Heck, in your case even a .30-30 is too range limiting for me even with the gummy tipped bullets. But here we hunt with shotguns and have to get to with in 100 yards. Given the choice I'll take a .357 lever gun 10 times outta 10 over a shotgun.

LK

Last edited by L_Killkenny; August 1, 2011 at 08:59 AM.

Page generated in 0.06392 seconds with 8 queries